Sunday, February 14, 2010

Beach Article

In the article that dealt with how adolescents respond to multicultural literature with alternative values, I found it similar to my experience with Esperanza Rising. I am generally very unfamiliar with Mexican values and customs since not only am I a white male, but I was born in England and have been nrought up with British values and customs. However, similar to what the article explained, after reading novels such as Esperanze Rising and Copper Sun, I was able to better understand the different customs and values in the different culture, both African and Mexican. Reading about the different traditions in the novels allows the reader, in this case, me, to get a glimpse of how important these values and customs are to the characters in the book who practice them. Reading about the different values and customs allows the reader to put themselves into the shoes of the characters and view the customs throught the words int he ook which are describing them. All in all after reading Esperanza Rising and Copper Sun, I got a better understanding of the traditions practiced in both cultures and I was more accepting of them because they were no longer so "new" to me. Also, I could understand them to a better extent and see how important they are to the particular people who did them.

No comments:

Post a Comment